My name is Leah. I live and write in Wellington, New Zealand. Welcome!

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Tuesday Poem: 'I Know This Much At Least' by Mollie Wells

From the single point of distance
we are half dark half salt half boat


and a line of matches striking sea,
and bone, to shore.


You bullshit hymn. You stupid rat.


You ugly river beach, why the hell
are we out here again? What with


all this bringing me into the cooler
mist of you, I can’t remember how


the city’s meant to look against the
white of its Queen Mary, how I used


to see the sopping wedding dress of
it and sitting here right now, whether


flesh or memory, I can promise I won’t
ever know the lace like that again.


I’ll only know the donuts that you brought
to bring the edge down off the end of us,


like coconut has ever had a say in what
makes up a good goodbye. You know, we


might’ve just stayed quiet. Let the sulfur run
itself to sleep, you stupid bruise. You spoiled


rotten scrape.



Mollie Wells is a writer, editor and musician from Columbus, Ohio. She’s a regular contributor to BUST Magazine and the Mishka Bloglin. Find her at molllliewelllls.tumblr.com

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm. I'm still mulling this one over, but I love the shift in tone after the opening. And some of the images here, too, like 'half dark half salt half boat /and a line of matches striking the sea' are just great. But this --

    like coconut has ever had a say in what
    makes up a good goodbye.

    -- is definitely my favourite line. So understated and perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a feisty sort of poem isn't it. A bursting forth of emotions,so although I don't get all the references,I do get the frustrations and anger. I also love the what I would call reluctant humour in the situation and the main character's ability to understand themselves...
    'I’ll only know the donuts that you brought
    to bring the edge down off the end of us,'

    ReplyDelete