My name is Leah. I live and write in Wellington, New Zealand. Welcome!

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Tuesday Poem: 'OBSERVING DUSK AT THE WARREN FAMILY CAMP ON THE SHORE OF LAKE BONAPARTE, WESTERN EDGE OF THE ADIRONDACKS' by David McAleavey


The lone skunk
nosing her prow
from cabin to
shed, boathouse,
lodge, peaceably cleaved
a slow arcing curve
around the aspen or birch
I leaned against.
Despite the streak
between her eyes
and the impressive wake
striping her body black,
white, black, white, black,
she was hugely calm.
Not happy: aware
of her competence.
She did not spray.
I may have flinched.
Any noise I made wasn’t much,
the ripple of her passing.



(c) David McAleavey, reprinted here with his kind permission. Please see it in its original Anderbo glory here: http://www.anderbo.com/anderbo1/apoetry-199.html

Head back on over to The Tuesday Poem hub for more wonderful poems today!

3 comments:

  1. Very nice--I can see it all so clearly. Thanks for posting, Leah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like these close observational pieces. Nice one, this!

    ReplyDelete